Executive Director Search
Deadline to Apply is November 30, 2017
The National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys (NACBA) is searching for the organization’s next Executive Director (ED). The position is VIRTUAL, with preference to the Greater Washington DC area and is available immediately.
NACBA is the only national organization dedicated to serving the needs of consumer bankruptcy attorneys and protecting the rights of consumer debtors in bankruptcy. Formed in 1992, NACBA has approximately 3,000 members located in all 50 states and Puerto Rico.
NACBA is governed by a nine-member Board of Directors. A professional staff of three serves NACBA from their home offices, and three contractors support the operations as well. NACBA’s budget is in the $1.3 million range.
The ED serves as the chief staff executive of NACBA, responsible to the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee for the effective conduct of the Association, providing leadership and overall strategic direction of the organization. The ED is responsible for management of all technical, financial and personnel measures, resource development, and strategic planning.
The ED establishes and recommends Association goals, objectives, and related policies to the Board of Directors. Within that framework, the ED plans, organizes, coordinates, controls and directs the staff, programs and activities of the Association in compliance with all pertinent laws and regulations, Bylaws, policies and procedures. The President is the primary face for the Association and is responsible for developing relationships and raising support for the organization.
NACBA is a critical point in its history. The next ED will be able to guide NACBA through a transformational period in terms of the Association’s growth and evolution. It is also a chance to strengthen NACBA’s leadership role in serving the organization’s Educate, Advocate and Litigate mission statement.
- Strong association or other organizational leadership and management skills and experience, at either the CEO or senior-management level.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and demonstrated success in identifying and maximizing additional revenue sources.
- Ability to build relationships and collaborative partnerships with internal constituencies and related external organizations.
- Dynamic executive presence and demonstrated ability to serve effectively as the “face” of the organization; a skilled and articulate communicator.
- Sound financial acumen and business sense.
- Basic understanding of the legal profession and/or related financial services industries in order to speak knowledgeably and credibly on behalf of the membership – a strong plus.
- Tech Savviness – a strong plus.
- Get it done, grassroots personality – a strong plus.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Under the general direction of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors, the ED will be expected to handle the following duties and responsibilities:
Strategy and Vision | Board Relations
- Providing support and advice to the NACBA Board of Directors, Executive Committee, and President by:
- Executing all decisions of the Board of Directors, except in cases where assignments are made specifically by the Board.
- Regularly informing the Board of Directors and Executive Committee of conditions and operations of the Association.
- Developing the meeting agenda and preparing minutes for meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Developing the meeting agenda and preparing minutes (assisting Secretary) for meetings of the Executive Committee.
- Participating as directed in all meetings of Board and Executive Committee, unless requested to not attend.
- Providing liaison and staff support to NACBA’s committees to enable them to perform their duties as delineated in the Association’s Bylaws.
- Proposing new policy initiatives, as appropriate.
- Ensuring sound implementation of the Association’s policies as directed by the Board.
- Proposing strategic initiatives, plans, and policies which further NACBA’s interests.
- Planning, formulating, and recommending to the Board of Directors basic policies and programs that will further the Association’s objectives.
- In partnership with the Board of Directors, creating a Strategic Plan and ensuring implemented successfully; recommend specific goals and objectives to ensure successful implementation.
Managing all external affairs of the Association (in conjunction with contracted representation), including relationships with like-minded bankruptcy and consumer associations, and legislators/regulators by:
- Overseeing promotion of interest and active participation in the Association’s activities to NACBA stakeholders.
- Attending legal profession related meetings and maintaining positive relationships with other, related associations.
- Cultivating and maintaining positive relationships with current, past and potential convention exhibitors and sponsors and to ensure that the interests of the Association are realized.
- Serving as an association spokesperson (when requested) on legislative and regulatory issues to profession, government, media and the membership of the Association;
- Providing ongoing information to the Board, staff and other constituencies regarding trends, issues, and developments affecting NACBA, its members and the consumer bankruptcy profession in general.
Management & Operations
Overseeing the internal affairs of the Association, including day-to-day operations. In this regard, the CEO will:
- Be responsible for maintaining, directing, motivating and compensating staff.
- Have authority for hiring, termination, performance review, goals-setting, employee relations, and employment practices.
- Supervise the NACBA team and be responsible for full staff meetings.
- Direct and coordinate all approved programs, projects, and major activities of the NACBA staff.
- Have overall responsibility for allocating staff and appropriate NACBA resources to Association functions, committees, task forces, and special projects.
- Execute such contracts and commitments as may be authorized by the Board of Directors or outlined in established Association policies.
- Working cooperatively with the Association’s financial team in conjunction with the development of the annual reviewed financial statements and required tax filings.
- Develop and recommend an annual budget in cooperation with the Treasurer and Executive Committee and implement the budget within the confines of established guidelines.
- Ensure that all funds, physical assets, and other property owned by the Association are appropriately maintained and safeguarded within established policies.
- Develop and supervising NACBA’s internal operating policies and procedures, subject to Board approval as appropriate.
- Safeguard confidential information as it applies to the daily functions of the Association and its members.
Requisite Background & Experience | Desirable Qualities and Characteristics
Qualified candidates for the position of Executive Director will be expected to understand, embrace, and advance NACBA’s mission and be prepared to step in as the face of the organization when necessary and appropriate. All candidates will also be expected to present the following:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; advanced degree preferred.
- Certified Association Executive | CAE designation a plus.
- Executive-level experience in a professional membership association of a similar magnitude a plus.
- Experience with and knowledge of the legal profession a plus.
- Experience with advocacy; a deep understanding of the advocacy process.
- Experience working with a volunteer-driven organization as either a staff member or volunteer.
- Experience as a change agent, strategic thinker, and relationship/consensus builder.
- Experience building and maintaining coalitions and strategic partnerships.
- Experience retooling an organization, including growing membership.
- Experience working with a governing board to develop and implement strategy and vision.
- Demonstrated understanding of governance issues, including board management and dynamics.
- Superior communications skills, both written and oral, and experience with public speaking.
- Previous oversight of budgeting and financial management of an organization.
- Ability to set priorities, delegate responsibilities, and mentor, motivate, and develop staff.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and orientation.
- High energy / dynamic personality.
- Demonstrated ability to plan strategically and think tactically.
- Creative problem-solver.
- Tech Savvy Required
- Understanding of Abilia Net Forum AMS
- Understanding of Higher Logic Communities Platform
- Understanding of Word Press
Compensation | Benefits | Availability
NACBA offers a competitive compensation package to attract the right candidate. The organization offers stimulating work and professional development opportunities, encouraging all team members to generate innovative ideas to further the goals of the Association. NACBA also provides employees with a benefits package (various insurance, retirement, reimbursement, professional development, etc.)
- Resume and cover letters must be received no later than Thursday, November 30, 2017.
- Must include requested salary range.
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org